Monday, December 21, 2009

A poem for Winter Solstice

Today is Winter Solstice (12:47 pm, Dec. 21, 2009). I got up early this morning and sat in the dark, quiet house, trying to free myself from all the stress of this coming week…trying to feel a soft darkness and quietness inside as well. I have found myself struggling for inner peace in the past few days. Actually I’ve probably been searching longer…as I recall that the mantel in the dining room is decorated with the word, as are our family Christmas cards. When the kids sometimes ask what I would wish for if I could wish for anything I often say world peace, and I do wish for that with all my heart, but I think I need to follow the old song. “Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me.” And peace on Earth can’t begin with me until I feel peace in my heart. My prayer today, is the peace within myself to guide my actions to create peace around me. If you are reading this, I wish it for you as well. Happy Winter Solstice. Peace.

Winter Wishes

By Ray Cruz
December 12, 2001

Let the first snow of winter
Cleanse the wounds in your heart
From conflicts and hardships of the year.

Let the heavenly showers
Clear the air and freshen your view
Of the world around you.

Let the brisk sounds and scenes
Of the holiday season
Pace the rhythm of your step.

Let your soul be uplifted
With the sparkle of children
Enjoying the surprises of winter’s antics.

Let your heart be filled
With the peace of an infant's succor
From her mother's breast.

Let peace in your heart
Free you from doubts and fears
And spread your warm feelings to those near to you.

Let peace in your heart
Open the door to love
And reveal the true delights of the human experience.

Let there be peace on earth,
The purest peace of innocence,
And let it be born in your heart.

No comments: