Sunday, November 22, 2009

Giving Thanks, Part 2

So, my family members are all aware of all the things and loved ones we HAVE in our lives. Gratitude is good. Gratitude for the little things that don’t cost money is even better. We all seem to have that covered at different levels and we are working on getting better at recognizing how blessed we really are at this moment.

Moving on…how can we help others who need it? How can we put aside our own desires, even our own needs, to help friends, family, even strangers who need us?

That was our challenge today and it was a hard challenge. First responses by both of the big kids was to donate money to charity. When pushed on where that money would come from both thought it would come from Mom & Dad. Neither was really willing to give up their own allowance for this. So the challenge then became something  they could do for others that didn’t require money. That was a hard one too. Here are some of their ideas:

Have a lemonade stand and give the money to charity. (Mom: “Where do you get money to buy supplies?” Kid: “You?”)

Give away my socks. (Mom:“What would you wear?” Kid:”You could buy me more socks.”)

We finally got around to volunteering. Embree offered to rake a neighbor’s leaves and Reeves offered to clean her cat boxes.

I don’t know if I need to work on my kids or on myself. I am shocked at how little they could think of that actually required a sacrifice on their part. Have I been that poor a model? I thought I was generous and compassionate. Maybe I’m not enough of those things. Maybe I need to make a concerted effort to exhibit those qualities in a more overt way to the kids.

I think we will spend December concentrating on giving. Each day we will give a gift; tangible or intangible. I will not walk by a Salvation Army kettle without dropping something in, even if I’ve denied the kids their favorite treat because it’s too close to Christmas or too far from pay day. I will look for ways to help and ask them to join in. Some days may be difficult. Some days WILL be difficult, but something as small as helping a sibling clean up or waiting for the mail carrier just to say thanks will do.

I’ll report our progress. It should be interesting!

‘til then…

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are a great mom! I think kids, esp. American kids, who have never wanted for anything, just have a hard time really understanding what sacrifice means. You are doing the right thing by pushing the issue, and you have given me a great idea for my own kids!