Saturday, November 21, 2009

Giving Thanks

This week we are trying to focus on the parts of our lives for which we are thankful instead of the myth of happy Pilgrims and Native Americans embracing in a big group hug. Don't get me wrong. I love Thanksgiving. As a matter of fact, when we take out the misconceptions and stereotypes and focus on actually giving thanks for what we have, then it's the happiest, most relaxed, most meaningful holiday for me.

For example, we had a huge Thanksgiving potluck at our homeschool co-op on Friday. It was the biggest, yummiest spread of brown food one could ever hope for on Thanksgiving. Most importantly we all (20+) sat around one large table and just enjoyed each other's company. There was no anticipation of presents to open as on Chirstmas, no trick or treating, no Easter baskets...no gimme, gimme feelings. Then each kid got up and gave a brief presentation for Kentucky History. That's it! It was relaxed and fun and lovely. I found myself looking around thinking how lucky my family is to be a part of this extended family group. So many friends and so much love there.

Tomorrow and Monday I get to spend time with all the kids and adults in THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER. That's another group that makes me recall just how lucky we are to have so many friends and so many opportunities in our lives. Watching kids (and adults) blossom on stage, listening to excited actors explain their creative ideas, being able to step back and allow a cast to take the reigns of their show that last week...that's special and makes the time it takes worthwhile.

Of course, there are our moms and dads, brothers and sisters, aunt, uncles, grandparents, cousins, in-laws, birth parents, friends, pets, and complete strangers who smile as they walk by who fill our lives with love. We don't get to spend enough time with them, but they are always in our hearts.

We have a home, food, shelter...even decent health care...and the occasional splurge on eating out or new toys. We have so much and want for nothing.

Today we are thankful for all we have...tomorrow we move on to what we have that we can give to make others' live better.

Jeannie: I am thankful for my three beautiful children, even when they are loud and dirty and picking on one another!
Todd: My Wife
Embree: My family because they care for me.
Reeves: I am thankful for my cousins and wish I got to see them more often.
Brice: He is thankful for "Juice"

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: