Saturday, February 13, 2010

A comment on the word of the year...

At the beginning of the year, along with many other bloggers, I chose a word to represent my goal for living this year. The word? ENOUGH. I have been trying to look at my life, my family, my commitments, and my stuff and find the parts that are satisfying and enjoy them. I've been looking at the parts that are stressful or unproductive and planning ways to finish the commitment I have to that thing, that organization, that person and move on. In other words...trying to find enough in what I have and what is enjoyable.

In doing so, I have been trying to break free of this need that I have that my house appear perfect before I allow anyone from outside our little family circle to visit. I'm not obsessed with cleaning. I keep too much stuff. On a day when it's just us, I am perfectly content to leave dishes in the sink all day, walk past dust bunnies, and step over a pile of dirty clothes because I'd rather be playing a game with the kids, blogging, cooking, or creating...anything but housekeeping! BUT...if there's the slightest chance someone might be coming over, I race through the house tidying up...putting on a good face! Remember, I am a theatre geek...I'm great at a fantastic outward appearance while backstage is a shambles...in so many ways!

So my goal has been to try to take the middle ground. Keep toys picked up unless they are actively being played with...keep our school materials in some sort of order, even if they are covering the dining room table...picking up the dust bunny the FIRST time I see it. I'm trying to just relax and invite friends in when I've had no notice that they'll visit, invite the kids' friends even when the upstairs isn't picked up...trying  not to stress about my mother-in-law visiting the day we return from a week at the beach. I'm just trying to remember that these people don't come here to see my house...they come because they love us...and our dust bunnies!

So...in looking around, trying to take stock of the beauty that is enough in my home I have rediscovered some of the lovely details of living in a 100 year old house! No matter what we throw on the floor, these beauties are here to enjoy... and they are more than enough. Hope you enjoy them too!






No comments: