Sunday, February 21, 2010

Our trip to Emerald Isle, NC - THE KNITTING LESSON



My grandparents, my mother, and her sisters have been together at Emerald Isle, NC for the entire month of February. Early in the their stay, my mom and Aunt Evelyn found a sweet little place called the Salty Sheep Yarn Shop where they began learning to knit. When my Aunt Martha joined them, she, too, took up the habit. They've all been crafty and creative as long as I've known them, often spending hours teaching one of us kids to bake, embroider, paint, decorate cakes...you name it. The three of them have named themselves THE KNIT WITS! 




On the first day of our visit here, they took the youngest girls for their own knitting lesson at the yarn shop. Reeves and I accompanied them but didn't knit. I thought I might be inspired to learn once we got there...I've always loved the hand-knit things offered by my grandmother and at art fairs...but knitting is beyond me at the moment. I just don't have the focus and patience to spare at this point in my life...at least not for counting stitches and casting chores. Maybe someday. I was, however, inspired by all the gorgeous yarns and colors...inspired to encourage my mother to keep knitting her beautiful gifts! Embree and her cousins were happy to sit at the knee of the lovely Knit Wits and enjoy a nice afternoon.




The owner of the shop, actually in Swansboro, NC, began the lesson with each of the girls.













Embree enjoyed casting on. She did a great job listening, asking questions, giving the whole affair a great deal of effort.

After the teacher wandered away to help other customers, the Knit Wits took over the lesson.

Aunt Martha helped her granddaughter, Charley, who learned very quickly and raced through her first few rows.

Aunt Evelyn (know as Effie) helped Embree with her casting on.

Mom (Also known as Nana) helped my niece Emma.


Reeves enjoying the lesson...

A day well spent!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Emerald Isle to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane