Monday, January 18, 2010

...the living

Anais Nin said, "We write to taste life twice." This is certainly true for me. I write to share with you, dear reader, but I write in order to savor the happenings of my life. I know that this precious day will pass in the blink of an eye and the moment I take to remember it and write it is my second taste. When I am old and my children are grown and I am sitting on the the front porch of the farm with Todd, I can look again at this writing and sample this day once again.

I am trying to live in the moment and hope beyond hope that I will continue to do so when my life goes from caregiver to friend with my children. I look forward to spending time with my children as adults and in making memories with them then that are just as precious as the ones we are making now. So I quickly write the things that I want to remember and get one with the living. I'll go back one day when they are busy, when I'm still and quiet or cross and discouraged. I will have my next taste then and be thankful for my life...and then, once again, get on with the living.

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!

1 comment: